Thursday, August 20, 2026

Paul Pogba speaks out after Monaco terminates contract amid limited playing time

August 19, 2026
2 mins read
Paul Pogba speaks out after Monaco terminates contract amid limited playing time

Paul Pogba’s contract with Monaco terminated early

Paul Pogba has broken his silence after Monaco terminated his contract early, with the former Manchester United star already attracting interest over his next move, reports BritPanorama.

The 33-year-old has left the Ligue 1 side just one season after joining the club in an attempt to relaunch his career following a lengthy absence from professional football. Pogba had been under contract with Monaco until June 2027, but the two parties have now agreed to end their relationship ahead of schedule.

Monaco explained that objectives established when the midfielder arrived had only been “partially achieved.” Pogba has now addressed his departure and insisted he remains grateful to the club despite his comeback failing to unfold as he had hoped.

“Representing this club and the principality was an incredible experience,” Pogba said. “AS Monaco is an incredible club and although I did not play as many games as I had hoped, I will always be grateful for the opportunity to wear their colours.”

The France World Cup winner managed only six appearances for Monaco last season, with five of those outings coming from the substitutes’ bench. His move to the principality had represented the beginning of a new chapter following a turbulent period away from the game.

Pogba received a four-year doping suspension after testing positive for a banned substance during his second spell with Juventus. The midfielder maintained that he had taken the substance accidentally and appealed against the punishment. His suspension was subsequently reduced from four years to 18 months by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, allowing him to return to professional football in March 2025.

Monaco then handed Pogba the opportunity to rebuild his career, although his limited involvement meant the move did not ultimately deliver the outcome either party had envisaged. Monaco chief executive Thiago Scuro acknowledged that signing Pogba had always represented an ambitious project.

“When [Pogba] joined, we explained that this was a major challenge, that was audacious and ambitious,” Scuro said. “While the outcome is not what we had hoped for, it should not overshadow the enthusiasm that surrounded his return to club football, nor the fact that Paul was able to return to the pitch and to professional football during this period.”

“We wish Paul all the very best for the future.” Attention will now turn to where Pogba goes next. The former United midfielder is reportedly attracting interest from Major League Soccer, potentially opening the door to a move to the United States. DC United and Inter Miami have both previously been linked with the Frenchman.

However, Pogba suffered another fitness setback during Monaco’s pre-season training camp in England last week. The midfielder sustained a hamstring injury which could delay any immediate move as he considers his options following his departure.

Pogba’s career trajectory serves as a reminder of the fragility of sporting success, where moments of brilliance are often shadowed by setbacks. A fresh start now beckons, but the question remains: can he defy the odds once more and reclaim his place among football’s elite?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss

Max Verstappen commits to Red Bull until 2030, ending F1 future speculation

Max Verstappen commits to Red Bull until 2030, ending F1 future speculation

Max Verstappen extends contract with Red Bull until 2030 Max Verstappen has
Harry Kane discusses potential return to Premier League amid Bayern Munich opener preparations

Harry Kane discusses potential return to Premier League amid Bayern Munich opener preparations

Harry Kane has given an update on a possible return to English