Friday, August 21, 2026

Moroccan police arrest 111 migrants attempting to enter Spain’s Ceuta amid heightened security

August 16, 2026
2 mins read
Moroccan police arrest 111 migrants attempting to enter Spain's Ceuta amid heightened security

CEUTA — Moroccan police arrested at least 111 people on Saturday as they tried to enter Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta, amid tightened security on both sides of the border after social media posts called for another mass migrant crossing, reports BritPanorama.

The attempted crossing came two weeks after more than 72,000 migrants surged into Ceuta, sparking tensions within the European Union and fuelling anti-immigration rhetoric among far-right parties worldwide. At least 96 people died in the attempt to reach European soil.

A source in Morocco’s Interior Ministry told Reuters that those detained included 109 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa and two Moroccan citizens arrested in or around Fnideq, the Moroccan city opposite Ceuta.

According to Spanish news agency EFE, Moroccan police used tear gas to disperse groups of migrants gathered on hills about 3 km (1.9 miles) from the border. Observers noted hundreds of police officers, some in riot gear and others in plain clothes, returning from the hills outside Fnideq.

EFE and Spanish state broadcaster TVE reported that Morocco’s Interior Ministry ordered their journalists to leave Fnideq immediately, without providing an explanation.

In Ceuta, Spanish soldiers guarded supermarkets while police heavily patrolled the enclave’s main streets. The city was calmer than in the days following the deadly crossing attempt on July 30.

Madrid has since installed a maritime barrier and deployed more than 500 additional police from mainland Spain, raising the total in Ceuta to more than 1,600. The Interior Ministry indicated that the reinforcements would remain for as long as needed.

“We’ll continue to deploy whatever personnel are necessary to restore normality as soon as possible and prevent events like those of July 30 from happening again,” stated Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska on Thursday.

About 5,000 migrants remained in Ceuta, the minister reported. Observers noted hundreds sheltering from the scorching heat under makeshift bamboo structures on the urban beach of El Trampolin.

Grande-Marlaska added that migrants who entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the enclave, travel to mainland Spain, or obtain legal status, except in rare cases involving extreme vulnerability. Those without a right to remain would be returned to Morocco, he affirmed.

Morocco steps up checks

Earlier this week, Rabat announced it was monitoring “the circulation of social media posts and messages of unknown origin” calling for a mass crossing on August 15, warning it would prosecute organisers and participants.

A Reuters witness observed reinforced security near the border, including police vans with wire shields and road checkpoints. Local media reported similar measures near Spain’s other North African enclave, Melilla.

Authorities prevented several groups from boarding trains and buses to northern Morocco in cities such as Casablanca, Fez, and Kenitra. However, witnesses informed Reuters that some migrants from sub-Saharan Africa were bypassing security checkpoints by taking mountain routes towards Fnideq.

One witness remarked that schools in Fnideq had been repurposed as accommodation for security forces deployed near the border.

‘Don’t cross’

Many of the young people who entered Ceuta on July 30 were seen fishing, swimming, or washing at Tarajal beach on Friday.

Driss Sadik, a 22-year-old from Fez who swam for five hours to reach Ceuta, cautioned others against following his example.

“The important thing I would advise people trying to cross: Don’t cross now, my brothers. You’re only going to suffer,” he told Reuters.

This warning was echoed by 17-year-old Adil Jamil.

“Those who enter aren’t going to benefit from anything. There will just be more and more of us, and they won’t find a solution for all,” he stated, emphasising that mass border crossings were often “planned by the people” who choose a date, gather in Fnideq, and cross together for strength in numbers.

“If I had stayed with my parents, I would’ve died slowly. But if I risk my life, arrive and build my future… it will be better,” he added, reflecting the persistent struggle for better opportunities amidst challenging circumstances.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss

Migrants clash with French police while attempting to launch boats for UK crossing

Boat migrants clash with French police in Northern France Video footage has
Rising number of migrants claiming Universal Credit reaches 1.3 million amid policy debates

Rising number of migrants claiming Universal Credit reaches 1.3 million amid policy debates

Record number of migrants claiming Universal Credit The number of migrants claiming