Friday, February 20, 2026

Inquest reveals England fan died in Bulgaria after suffering blunt force injuries

February 19, 2026
1 min read
Inquest reveals England fan died in Bulgaria after suffering blunt force injuries

Inquest reveals blunt force in England fan’s death in Bulgaria

The England football fan who died in Bulgaria was subjected to “blunt force” prior to his death, according to evidence that has taken more than six years to obtain, reports BritPanorama.

Rob Spray, 32, from Heath Hayes in Staffordshire, suffered a fatal cardiac arrest in Sofia on October 14, 2019, after travelling to watch England’s European Championship qualifier against Bulgaria. The inquiry into his death has unveiled critical evidence, including translated witness statements and CCTV footage.

Family barrister Oliver Carr informed the coroner of significant findings from the footage, suggesting the potential use of force in the events leading to Mr Spray’s collapse. “There is certainly one very noticeable part of the footage that has come to the attention of those instructed, and myself, that we’ve seen that goes to the question of the inquiry of blunt force,” he stated.

The pre-inquest review held at County Buildings in Stafford saw Mr Spray’s father, Malcolm, and sister, Katie, in attendance. Notably, Mr Spray’s mother, Jillian, passed away from cancer prior to the resolution of the case. The coroner acknowledged the footage, affirming, “We found what may be regarded as use of force when Mr Spray… I know the part that you are talking about.”

Bulgarian authorities initially reported that Mr Spray was found in a “helpless condition” before being taken to Pirogov hospital. His family has never received clarity on why he was discharged into police custody, where he subsequently suffered a fatal cardiac arrest without any medical assistance. The coroner previously noted “reason to suspect unlawful death,” indicating a forthcoming full inquest before a jury.

A pathologist has been commissioned to examine the evidence, which includes the documented use of force in witness statements and CCTV recordings. Mr Carr indicated the family’s main interest lies in establishing whether the injuries contributed to the cause of death, stating, “Ultimately, what the family will be interested in is the test on causation and whether or not the injuries… more than minimally contributed to the cause of the death.”

A final pre-inquest hearing is scheduled for June, with the full inquiry provisionally set for September 7, expected to last four weeks. The coroner intends to call the Bulgarian investigating officer for an overview of the findings, along with three Bulgarian pathologists whose evidence may be scrutinised.

Notably, a petition demanding an investigation into Mr Spray’s death has amassed over 100,000 signatures, indicating public interest and concern regarding the circumstances of his passing.

The unfolding investigation serves as both a reminder of the risks faced by supporters abroad and the complexity of ensuring accountability in tragic incidents involving fans. As the inquest progresses, the hope remains that clarity and justice will illuminate the circumstances surrounding Mr Spray’s untimely demise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss

England Cricket Board investigates claims of excessive drinking during Ashes squad break

England Cricket Board investigates claims of excessive drinking during Ashes squad break

England cricket authorities investigate drinking allegations during Ashes break England’s cricket authorities
Inquiry into grooming gangs to examine offenders' ethnicity and religion, says Home Secretary

Inquiry into grooming gangs to examine offenders’ ethnicity and religion, says Home Secretary

Inquiry into grooming gangs to investigate ethnicity and religion of offenders The